Michigan State beats Illinois 61-57, helps resume
The Spartans (15-11, 7-7 Big Ten) have won two of three after losing five of six to bolster their shot at playing in a 14th straight NCAA tournament.
The Fighting Illini (17-10, 7-7) have lost three of five to make it more difficult to earn one of the coveted 68 spots in college basketball’s showcase next month.
Michigan State scored nine straight points after the game was tied at 51 to pull away in a closely contested game that had postseason-like intensity.
Demetri McCamey had 15 points, Mike Davis scored 15 and Brandon Paul added 12 for Illinois.
Lucas didn’t get much help offensively. Keith Appling scored nine points, Durrell Summers had all eight of his points in the first half and Delvon Roe added eight, including a low-post shot that put the Spartans ahead by four with 1 1/2 minutes left.
- Jimmer Fredette’s awesome Sports Illustrated cover
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals