Virginia Commonwealth edges Wichita State 68-67
The Shockers’ David Kyles got off a 3-pointer at the buzzer, but it rattled in and out.
Bradford Burgess scored 17 and Rodriguez added 15 for the Rams (21-8), who earned a victory to help their NCAA tournament at-large chances.
Joe Ragland’s 15 points could not keep Wichita State (22-6) from its fourth home loss.
Wichita State went on a methodical 8-0 run over a six-minute span, taking a 61-59 lead with 4:27 remaining and setting up the late drama. The teams traded lead-changing baskets before Brandon Rozzell’s 3-pointer with 1:22 left gave the Rams a 65-63 advantage. They led until Ragland made two free throws with 4.9 seconds to play for a 67-66 Shockers lead.
Virginia Commonwealth was 9 of 21 from 3-point range.
- Virginia Commonwealth edges Wichita State 68-67
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown