Robinson helps Georgia hold off UAB 66-64
Trey Thompkins led the Bulldogs (5-2) with 20 points. Jeremy Price added 14 and Robinson 13.
Cameron Moore led UAB (6-2) with 20 points, Jamarr Sanders added 16 and Aaron Johnson had 14.
Georgia led by double digits most of the first half, but the Blazers kick-started the second half with a 10-2 run featuring a pair of 3-pointers by Sanders.
UAB finally took the lead at 57-56 on a pair of free throws by Johnson with 3:52 to go.
Robinson hit a layup with 14 seconds to play to put Georgia up by three, 64-61. Sanders missed an open three, and Robinson rebounded, drawing a foul. He hit two free throws with 6.2 seconds remaining, rendering a buzzer-beater by Sanders meaningless.
Georgia forced five turnovers in the first 4 minutes in bolting to a 12-4 lead. Thompkins scored three of Georgia’s first six baskets and fed Travis Leslie for a spectacular alley-oop dunk, too.
The Bulldogs pushed the lead to 16-4 on a spin move by Gerald Robinson with 14:10 to go in the half. Finally the Blazers found some offense, but they trailed by double digits most of the first half, including a 43-32 halftime margin. The Bulldogs held a decisive 23-10 rebounding edge at the half.
- LBSU president: ‘The hypocrisy of the NCAA makes me sick’
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics