Morgan State tops Hampton 74-67 in MEAC semis
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP)—Ameer Ali scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds as Morgan State defeated Hampton 74-67 in the semifinals of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament on Friday night.
Top-seeded Morgan State (26-9) will play in the MEAC tournament final on Saturday, where it will face either South Carolina State or Delaware State.
Joe Davis and Troy Smith added 12 points each for the Bears, who have won six games in a row.
The game was tied at 64 with 2:25 remaining, but the Bears scored five straight to take a 69-64 lead. Hampton never recovered, shooting 1-for-4 in the final 2 minutes.
Michael Freeman scored 18 points to lead the fifth-seeded Pirates (14-18).
Morgan State shot 1-for-7 from 3-point range (14.3 percent), but outrebounded the Pirates 38-33.
The Bears defeated Hampton 73-63 during the regular season on Jan. 11.
- Morgan State tops Hampton 74-67 in MEAC semis
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown