Ohio beats Miami 54-42 in MAC semis
CLEVELAND (AP)—Armon Bassett scored 28 points and DeVaughn Washington added 18 as ninth-seeded Ohio advanced to the final of the Mid-American Conference tournament by beating cold-shooting Miami (Ohio) 54-42 in the semifinals Friday night.
The Bobcats (20-14), who upset top-seeded Kent State in the quarterfinals, will meet third-seeded Akron in Saturday’s championship. The winner gets the MAC’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Akron won both regular-season matchups between the schools.
Bassett, who made his way to Ohio after stops at Indiana and Alabama-Birmingham, scored six straight points during a 13-2 burst in the second half when the Bobcats put away the RedHawks (14-18).
Ohio is in the final for the first time since winning the tourney title in 2005.
Kenny Hayes scored 12 for fourth-seeded Miami, which shot 35 percent from the floor and scored 12 points in the first half.
- Ohio beats Miami 54-42 in MAC semis
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- Arizona team breakdown