Houston Baptist defeats NJIT 74-64
OREM, Utah (AP)—Andrew Gonzalez scored 24 points to lead Houston Baptist past NJIT 74-64 Friday night in the Great West Conference tournament semifinals.
Houston Baptist (12-20) will face regular-season champion South Dakota in the title game Saturday night. The conference, playing its first full season schedule and postseason tournament, does not get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
The Huskies led 21-7 in the first 8 minutes before NJIT (10-21) came back to lead 37-34 at halftime.
Miles Dixon scored 15 points, Wendell Preadom scored 11 and Mario Flaherty had 10 rebounds for Houston Baptist.
The Highlanders had four players in double figures. Chris Flores, who was 12-for-12 from the free-throw line, finished with 17 points. Sammy Schickel scored 14, Jheryl Wilson 13 and Isaiah Wilkerson 11.
- Houston Baptist defeats NJIT 74-64
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel