SC State defeats Delaware State 70-66 in OT
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP)—Jason Flagler had 19 points to lead South Carolina State to a 70-66 overtime victory over Delaware State on Friday night to advance to the championship game of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.
Flagler added eight rebounds as the third-seeded Bulldogs (18-13), who have won five of their past six games, advanced to play top-seeded Morgan State on Saturday for the conference’s automatic berth in the NCAA tournament.
South Carolina State scored the final five points of the overtime as Flagler hit a layup for a 67-66 lead with 43 seconds to play. Carrio Bennett hit the first of two free throw attempts and Rio Pitt tipped in the miss with 5 seconds remaining for the final margin.
Pitt had 11 points and Brandon Smalls and Bennett finished with 10 points each.
Jay Threatt scored 15, Marcus Neal added 14 and Frisco Sandidge had 13 for Delaware State (17-14).
- MWC Preview: Ex-UNLV star Kevin Kruger forecasts the league
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 14 West Virginia beats No. 15 Baylor 80-69