Arkansas-Pine Bluff tops Alabama State 46-44
BOSSIER CITY, La. (AP)—Allen Smith stole an inbounds pass and then Terrance Calvin hit a jumper with 1 second left to lift second-seeded Arkansas-Pine Bluff to a 46-44 victory over Alabama State in the semifinals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament on Friday.
The Golden Lions (16-15) will face the winner of Friday’s other semifinal between Texas Southern and Grambling State for a bid to the NCAA tournament.
Calvin scored a team-high 12 points and collected a game-high 12 rebounds. Teammate Savalance Townsend added 11.
Senior Tramayne Moorer led Alabama State (16-15) with a game-high 23 points.
Alabama State had an opportunity for the final shot in regulation but had trouble inbounding the ball under its own basket. Smith’s steal came after two Alabama State timeouts.
The Golden Lions outrebounded the Hornets 41-29.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff tops Alabama State 46-44
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2