Arkansas-Pine Bluff tops Alabama State 46-44
BOSSIER CITY, La. (AP)—Allen Smith stole an inbounds pass and then Terrance Calvin hit a jumper with 1 second left to lift second-seeded Arkansas-Pine Bluff to a 46-44 victory over Alabama State in the semifinals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament on Friday.
The Golden Lions (16-15) will face the winner of Friday’s other semifinal between Texas Southern and Grambling State for a bid to the NCAA tournament.
Calvin scored a team-high 12 points and collected a game-high 12 rebounds. Teammate Savalance Townsend added 11.
Senior Tramayne Moorer led Alabama State (16-15) with a game-high 23 points.
Alabama State had an opportunity for the final shot in regulation but had trouble inbounding the ball under its own basket. Smith’s steal came after two Alabama State timeouts.
The Golden Lions outrebounded the Hornets 41-29.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff tops Alabama State 46-44
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four