Hayes leads Miami, Ohio past Buffalo, 73-59
CLEVELAND (AP)—Kenny Hayes scored 27 points and Miami (Ohio) defeated Buffalo 73-59 on Thursday night in the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference tournament.
Fourth-seeded Miami (14-17) meets Ohio in the semifinals Friday night.
Buffalo (18-12) led in the first 2 minutes before Miami took charge. The RedHawks built an 18-point lead midway through the first half and led 32-21 at halftime.
Buffalo chipped away early in the second half. Sean Smiley hit three straight 3-pointers, cutting the lead to 56-54 with 5:43 left. The RedHawks scored the next five points on Julian Mavunga’s basket and a three-point play by Antonio Ballard.
Rodney Pierce’s three-point play cut the lead to four with 2:38 left, but Buffalo would get no closer as Miami made 10 of 12 free throws in the final 2 minutes.
Smiley led Buffalo with 14 points while Pierce added 12. Mavunga scored 16 for Miami.
- Hayes leads Miami, Ohio past Buffalo, 73-59
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0