Tulsa storms back, defeats Rice 73-62
TULSA, Okla. (AP)—Justin Hurtt scored 17 points, Jerome Jordan 16 and Ben Uzoh 15 and Tulsa wiped out a 15-point halftime deficit in a 73-62 victory over Rice in the first round of the Conference USA tournament Wednesday night.
Tulsa (22-10), the fifth seed, advances to play fourth seed Marshall in the quarterfinals on Thursday.
The 12th-seeded Owls (8-23) were nearly flawless in the opening 20 minutes, jumping to an 8-0 lead and building it to 26-14. After Tulsa pulled within 28-22, Rice closed with a 13-4 run to lead 41-26 at the break.
Connor Frizzelle, who led the Owls with 17 points, was 4-for-4 from 3-point range in the half. Tamir Jackson had 13 points and Suleiman Braimoh 12 for Rice.
Tulsa outscored Rice 47-21 in the second half. The Hurricane took the lead for good on Hurtt’s dunk at 60-59.
- KU's Tyshawn Taylor suspended indefinitely; Who fills the void?
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Freeman, Prince lead No. 21 Baylor past K-State, 82-72
- Walton, Michigan hang on to beat Minnesota 82-74
- No. 7 Virginia back track with a little luck, lots of 'D'