Southern Miss beats Tulane 57-47
TULSA, Okla. (AP)—Gary Flowers had 17 points and 14 rebounds as Southern Miss defeated Tulane 57-47 in the first round of the Conference USA Tournament Wednesday.
Southern Miss, the sixth seed, will play third-seeded UAB in a quarterfinal matchup Thursday.
The Golden Eagles (19-12) never trailed against Tulane, scoring the first eight points.
Torye Pelham’s three-point play—a dunk and a free throw—put Southern Miss up 19-8 with 10:45 left in the half. They led 25-16 at halftime.
The Golden Eagles’ biggest lead was at 41-27 in the second half. The Green Wave (8-22) never got closer than eight points the rest of the way.
Pelham and Angelo Johnson scored 11 points for Southern Miss, which made just 33 percent of its shots (19-for-58). Tulane, which struggled even more at 31 percent (19-for-62), got eight points apiece from Kris Richard and Johnny Mayhane.
- Southern Miss beats Tulane 57-47
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Oregon stuns Kansas to reach first Final Four in 78 years
- Having reached Final Four at last, Gonzaga's Mark Few says, 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself