UMES tops Coppin State 64-58 at MEAC tournament
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP)—Hillary Haley scored 25 points to lead Maryland-Eastern Shore past Coppin State 64-58 on Wednesday in the first round of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.
Haley was 8 of 12 from the field while Kevin White added 23 points for the sixth-seeded Hawks (11-20). They shot 52.5 percent and held a 34-23 rebounding advantage in advancing to a quarterfinal matchup against No. 3 seed South Carolina State on Thursday.
Kareem Brown had 16 points, Ceslovas Kucinskas added 11 and Vince Goldsberry scored 10 for 11th-seeded Coppin State. The Eagles (8-22) shot 39 percent and lost to the Hawks for the third time this season.
Neither team could find its 3-point touch. Maryland-Eastern Shore was 3-for-12 from beyond the arc while Coppin State was 4-for-17.
- McGonagill scores 20, Brown beats Longwood 81-69
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56