Houston easily defeats East Carolina 93-80
TULSA, Okla. (AP)—Aubrey Coleman scored 29 points, three above his nation-leading average, and Houston rolled to a 93-80 victory over East Carolina in the first round of the Conference USA tournament Wednesday.
Seventh-seed Houston (16-15) will play second-seed Memphis in the quarterfinals Thursday.
Brock Young had 24 points to lead East Carolina (10-21) in the final game for coach Mack McCarthy, who is taking an administration job at the school.
Kelvin Lewis had 15 points for the Cougars. Houston began to empty its bench and run clock with more than 10 minutes remaining when it had a 23-point lead.
East Carolina crept within 88-78 with 3:49 to play, forcing Houston to call timeout and put the starters back in the game. The Pirates got as close as 90-81 before Coleman scored his final basket on a layup with a minute left.
- Houston easily defeats East Carolina 93-80
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four