Arkansas-Pine Bluff beats MVSU 69-66 in SWAC
BOSSIER CITY, La. (AP)—Allen Smith scored 16 points and Arkansas-Pine Bluff overcame poor free throw shooting down the stretch to beat Mississippi Valley State 69-66 on Wednesday in the first round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.
The second-seeded Golden Lions (15-15) advance to Friday’s semifinals to face the winner of Alabama State-Alabama A&M.
D’Angelo Jackson came off the bench to score a game-high 24 points for seventh-seeded Mississippi Valley State (9-23).
The Golden Lions broke open a tie game with a 17-6 run early in the second half, but the Delta Devils closed to within two points, 68-66, on a pair of free throws by Kevin Burwell. Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s Lebaron Weathers added a free throw with 6 seconds left to push the lead to three before Burwell missed a long 3-pointer at the buzzer.
The victory completed a season-series sweep for the Golden Lions.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff beats MVSU 69-66 in SWAC
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four