Louisiana-Monroe 66, North Texas 69
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Eric Tramiel scored 22 points and had 17 rebounds as North Texas rallied in the final minutes to escape with a 69-66 victory over Louisiana-Monroe in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Conference tournament Sunday night.
Josh White scored 18 and Tristan Thompson added 16 for the No. 2 seed Mean Green (22-8), who will face Denver in the semifinals Monday.
The Warhawks (12-19) led by as many as 12 in the second half and were up 60-53 with 3:44 to play before North Texas put together a 10-1 run for a 63-61 advantage with 1:45 left. Tony Hooper answered with a 3-pointer 30 seconds later for a 64-63 lead, but the Mean Green took the lead for good on Tramiel’s layup with 55.3 left.
Tommie Sykes scored 17 points to lead 10th seeded Louisiana-Monroe, which led by 14 in the first half. Dynile Forbes added 16 points and Lawrence Gilbert had 13.
- Louisiana-Monroe 66, North Texas 69
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2