Fairfield rallies past Niagara 69-63
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP)—Freshman Derek Needham scored 17 points, including the go-ahead basket, as second-seeded Fairfield held off sixth-seeded Niagara 69-63 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament semifinals Sunday night.
Conference defensive player of the year Anthony Johnson had 21 points, eight rebounds and three blocks for the Stags (22-9), who face host and top seed Siena in Monday’s final. Siena has won two straight MAAC championships.
Tyrone Lewis had 20 points before fouling out for the Purple Eagles (18-15), who were held without a field goal for a crucial 8-minute stretch late in the second half. Anthony Nelson added 12 points and 10 rebounds for Niagara, which also lost 80-74 to Fairfield a week ago to close the regular season.
Fairfield trailed 58-51 with 7:16 left, but used a 13-1 run, including Needham’s one-handed layup at 3:29, to lead for good.
- Fairfield rallies past Niagara 69-63
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot