Eastern Michigan beats Northern Illinois 65-59
YPSILANTI, Mich. (AP)—Brandon Bowdry had 19 points and 12 rebounds to lead Eastern Michigan past Northern Illinois 65-59 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament on Sunday.
The Eagles (17-14), the No. 6 seed, will face No. 3 seed Akron in the quarterfinals on Thursday in Cleveland.
The game was tied 54-54 with slightly more than 5 minutes to play, but Eastern Michigan scored the next seven points. Justin Dobbins made a free throw and scored on a short jumper, while Carlos Medlock made a pair of free throws and a layup for the Eagles.
Dobbins finished with 13 points and Medlock 11. Jay Higgins scored 10.
Xavier Silas led Northern Illinois (10-20) with 20 points. Sean Kowal had 15 points and 11 rebounds. The Huskies led 22-8 early in the game but by halftime the lead was down to 29-23.
- Head of NCAA officials admits error in late call against Syracuse
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare