Ohio defeats Ball State 85-77 in overtime
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP)—Armon Bassett scored 25 points, including the layup that sent the game into overtime, and Ohio defeated Ball State 85-77 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament Sunday.
The Bobcats (18-14), who will face top-seeded Kent State on Thursday in the quarterfinals, rallied from a six-point deficit in the final five minutes of regulation to force OT.
After a layup by D.J. Cooper tied the score at 67-all with 1:44 to play, capping an 8-2 run, Jarrod Jones briefly gave the Cardinals (15-15) a two-point lead with a layup.
Bassett answered with his game-tying shot, was fouled on the play but missed the free throw.
Ohio then opened overtime with a 7-3 run and led the rest of the way.
Tommy Freeman and DeVaughn Washington each scored 15 points for the Bobcats.
Randy Davis led Ball State with 21 points, and Jauwan Scaife added 17.
- A potential comedy goldmine: Bob Knight's having a charity roast
- UNC: Pinson out indefinitely with broken bone in right foot
- South Carolina freshman Felder arrested, jailed for assault
- Florida freshman Bassett to miss season with stress fracture
- Izzo isn't sure what to expect from new-look Michigan State
- Eustachy to remain with Colorado St. through 2020-21 season