Ohio defeats Ball State 85-77 in overtime
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP)—Armon Bassett scored 25 points, including the layup that sent the game into overtime, and Ohio defeated Ball State 85-77 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament Sunday.
The Bobcats (18-14), who will face top-seeded Kent State on Thursday in the quarterfinals, rallied from a six-point deficit in the final five minutes of regulation to force OT.
After a layup by D.J. Cooper tied the score at 67-all with 1:44 to play, capping an 8-2 run, Jarrod Jones briefly gave the Cardinals (15-15) a two-point lead with a layup.
Bassett answered with his game-tying shot, was fouled on the play but missed the free throw.
Ohio then opened overtime with a 7-3 run and led the rest of the way.
Tommy Freeman and DeVaughn Washington each scored 15 points for the Bobcats.
Randy Davis led Ball State with 21 points, and Jauwan Scaife added 17.
- Ohio defeats Ball State 85-77 in overtime
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?