Ohio defeats Ball State 85-77 in overtime
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP)—Armon Bassett scored 25 points, including the layup that sent the game into overtime, and Ohio defeated Ball State 85-77 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament Sunday.
The Bobcats (18-14), who will face top-seeded Kent State on Thursday in the quarterfinals, rallied from a six-point deficit in the final five minutes of regulation to force OT.
After a layup by D.J. Cooper tied the score at 67-all with 1:44 to play, capping an 8-2 run, Jarrod Jones briefly gave the Cardinals (15-15) a two-point lead with a layup.
Bassett answered with his game-tying shot, was fouled on the play but missed the free throw.
Ohio then opened overtime with a 7-3 run and led the rest of the way.
Tommy Freeman and DeVaughn Washington each scored 15 points for the Bobcats.
Randy Davis led Ball State with 21 points, and Jauwan Scaife added 17.
- Ohio defeats Ball State 85-77 in overtime
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2