Texas-Pan American holds off North Dakota 71-68
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP)—Aaron Urbanus scored 19 points Saturday to help Texas-Pan American hold off North Dakota 71-68.
North Dakota made it close in the final minute. Chris Clausen’s 3-pointer trimmed the deficit to 69-66 with 28 seconds left, and Travis Bledsoe cut it to 69-68 with 19 seconds to go.
But Nick Weiermiller made two free throws for a 71-68 Broncs lead, and Bledsoe’s late 3-point attempt rimmed out.
Manny Hendrix added 14 points and Julius Hearn for the Broncs (5-26, 4-8).
The Fighting Sioux (8-22, 5-7) got 10 points and a career-high 12 rebounds from Travis Mertens, plus 15 points from Bledsoe, 13 from Derek Benter and 11 from Patrick Mitchell.
The Sioux will get the third seed in the conference tournament if NJIT loses Sunday at league-leading South Dakota. If NJIT pulls the upset, North Dakota will be the fourth seed.
- Happy ending alert: Dave Rose clear of cancer
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case