Nicholls State beats Lamar 73-61, clinches berth
THIBODAUX, La. (AP)—Anatoly Bose scored 22 points to help Nicholls State defeat Lamar 73-61 on Saturday and clinch the eighth and final berth in the Southland Conference tournament.
The Colonels (11-18, 7-9) will face top seed Sam Houston State in the first round Wednesday in Katy, Texas.
Lamar (14-18, 5-11) ended the season with its seventh consecutive loss.
Nicholls State trailed 23-22 at halftime but outscored the Cardinals 12-2 in the opening 4:49 of the second half.
Lamar got back within two, 51-49, at the 7-minute mark, but the Colonels regained control down the stretch, taking a 65-56 lead when Bose hit a 3-pointer with a hand in his face with 1:24 left.
Fred Hunter scored 17 points and Chris Iles had 13 points and five assists for the Colonels.
Justin Nabors scored 14 points and Kendrick Harris added 13 to lead Lamar.
- VCU fan ‘celebration’ turns into riot after loss to Butler
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- No. 2 UCLA returns to college basketball's upper echelon
- Late free throw gives Indiana State win over No. 16 Butler
- No. 7 North Carolina holds off Davidson 83-74
- Watson scores season-high 25, No. 10 Creighton beats Huskers