Portland St. 68, Montana St. 65
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP)—Melvin Jones sank his fifth 3-pointer of the game with three seconds left to lift Portland State to a 68-65 win over Montana State in the quarterfinals of the Big Sky Conference tournament Saturday night.
With 1:04 left, third-seeded Montana State (15-14) took a 65-63 lead on a 3-pointer by Branden Johnson.
But Paul Guede made two free throws for Portland State (13-18) with 35 seconds left to tie it. Montana State turned the ball over on the next play, setting Jones up for the game winner.
Jones finished with 17 points for the Vikings and Julius Thomas helped out with 19 points.
The Vikings, which entered the tournament in the No. 6 seed, advance to the semifinals Tuesday in Ogden, Utah, where they will play top-seeded Weber State.
Bobby Howard and Danny Piepoli led the Bobcats with 16 points each. Erik Rush finished with 13 points.
- Portland St. 68, Montana St. 65
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2