Texas Southern defeats Southern 66-62
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Junior Treasure scored 29 points as Texas Southern defeated Southern 66-62 on Saturday in both teams’ regular-season finale.
Treasure shot 9-for-20 from the field and nailed five 3-pointers for the Tigers (15-15, 11-7 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who have won three games in a row. Aaron Clayborn chipped in with 12 points.
The game was tied at 62 with 1:32 left to play, but Treasure nailed a jumper to put the Tigers up by two. The Jaguars missed two potential game-tying jumpers on the following possession, and Clayborn made two free throws on the other end for the final score.
Doug Scott scored 14 points to pace Southern (5-25, 3-15), while Quinton Doggett added 13.
The Tigers committed 21 turnovers, but outrebounded the Jaguars 47-29.
Texas Southern will play in the SWAC Tournament, which starts on March 10. Southern failed to qualify.
- Texas Southern defeats Southern 66-62
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense