Sherrer shot gives South Alabama 52-51 victory
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Bryan Sherrer scored 21 points and hit the game-winning shot with 4 seconds left Saturday as South Alabama defeated Florida Atlantic 52-51 in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
The No. 9-seeded Jaguars (17-14) advance to a quarterfinal matchup at 6:45 p.m. EST today against top-seeded Troy.
South Alabama was outrebounded 44-30, committed 17 turnovers, was just 3 for 7 from the free-throw line (Florida Atlantic was 9 of 18) and blew a 14-point second-half lead. But the Jaguars shot 40 percent from the field compared to 27 percent for the Owls.
No. 8 Florida Atlantic (14-16) had a chance to win at the buzzer, but Shavar Richardson missed a layup with 2 seconds left, and Brett Royster also missed inside after getting the offensive rebound.
Royster finished with 13 points and 15 rebounds. Raymond Taylor had 14 points and Greg Gantt added 12.
- Sherrer shot gives South Alabama 52-51 victory
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina