Denver turns back Florida International 71-64
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Brian Stafford and Justin Coughlin scored 17 points apiece Saturday to lead Denver over Florida International 71-64 in an opening-round game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Nate Rohnert and Chase Hallam added 14 points each for the sixth-seeded Pioneers (18-12), who advance to face No. 3 Middle Tennessee on Sunday. Rohnert also had nine rebounds for Denver.
Phil Gary had 23 points for Florida International (7-25), which lost its ninth straight game. Marlon Bright added 16 points and nine rebounds, and Stephon Weaver had 12 points.
Denver’s 18 wins are the second-most in its Division I history and the most by the Pioneers since going 20-11 in 2004-05.
Both teams spent a lot of time at the free-throw line Saturday. Denver was 27 for 35 at the line, while Florida International was 21 for 26.
- Denver turns back Florida International 71-64
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?