Denver turns back Florida International 71-64
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP)—Brian Stafford and Justin Coughlin scored 17 points apiece Saturday to lead Denver over Florida International 71-64 in an opening-round game of the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Nate Rohnert and Chase Hallam added 14 points each for the sixth-seeded Pioneers (18-12), who advance to face No. 3 Middle Tennessee on Sunday. Rohnert also had nine rebounds for Denver.
Phil Gary had 23 points for Florida International (7-25), which lost its ninth straight game. Marlon Bright added 16 points and nine rebounds, and Stephon Weaver had 12 points.
Denver’s 18 wins are the second-most in its Division I history and the most by the Pioneers since going 20-11 in 2004-05.
Both teams spent a lot of time at the free-throw line Saturday. Denver was 27 for 35 at the line, while Florida International was 21 for 26.
- Eric Cartman: “Stu-dent-ath-o-leets. Oh, that is brilliant sir.”
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four