VCU rolls past Delaware 66-49 in CAA tourney
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Larry Sanders scored 15 points, grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked three shots to lead Virginia Commonwealth past Delaware 66-49 on Friday in the first round of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
The fifth-seeded Rams (21-8), winners of eight of their last 11 games, will face fourth-seeded George Mason in the quarterfinals Saturday. Delaware (7-24) lost seven straight and 10 of its last 11 games.
VCU broke an 8-8 tie with nine straight points—four by Sanders. The Rams finished the first half with a 14-5 run to take a 37-21 advantage into halftime.
VCU went 7 of 12 from beyond the arc and shot 43.8 percent from the floor in the first half. The 12-seeded Blue Hens were held to 34.6 percent from the field before halftime.
The Rams opened the second half with a 13-4 spurt to take a 50-27 lead with 13:31 left. Sanders led the run with eight points and an assist.
- VCU rolls past Delaware 66-49 in CAA tourney
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown