Manhattan tops Loyola 94-79
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP)—Rico Pickett scored a career-high 33 points to lead ninth-seeded Manhattan past eighth-seeded Loyola (Md.) 94-79 in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament on Friday night.
Darryl Crawford added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Jaspers, who avenged a 71-59 loss to Loyola to close the regular season.
Shane Walker had 26 points for the Greyhounds (13-17), who also got 13 from Jamal Barney.
Brandon Adams had 14 for Manhattan (11-19), which advanced to face top-seeded Siena in Saturday’s quarterfinal round.
Loyola managed to whittle a 19-point deficit to 69-64 with 8 minutes left. But Pickett hit a layup and two free throws on a flagrant foul call with 4:40 remaining to increase Manhattan’s advantage.
Manhattan sprinted to a 17-4 lead and took a 51-36 edge into the break behind 23 first-half points from Pickett.
- Manhattan tops Loyola 94-79
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown