James Madison defeats Drexel 77-65
RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Denzel Bowles scored 15 of his 22 points in the second half and 11th-seeded James Madison upset Drexel 77-65 on Friday night in the first round of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
The Dukes (13-19) will play third-seeded William & Mary in Saturday’s quarterfinals.
James Madison’s Pierre Curtis had seven straight points to ignite an 11-4 run to end the first half. The Dukes took a 33-27 halftime lead behind Curtis’ 15 points.
The Dragons (16-16) shot 29 percent from the floor, missing 9 of their final 10 shots, while allowing the Dukes to shoot 47.8 percent.
Bowles scored six points in the first 3:05 of the second half, sparking a James Madison spurt which ended with the Dukes leading 41-31.
The Dukes sealed the win by hitting 10 of 12 free throws in the final 3:06.
Curtis finished with 19 points and Julius Wells had 18.
- James Madison defeats Drexel 77-65
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four