Cunningham, Oregon State hold off WSU 59-55
CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP)—Jared Cunningham had 20 points, eight steals and the game-clinching free throws as Oregon State turned back a second-half challenge and beat Washington State 59-55 Thursday.
Roeland Schaftenaar had 10 points for the Beavers (14-15, 8-9 Pac-10), who had 14 steals and shot 52.2 percent from the field.
Klay Thompson had 16 of his 18 points in the second half as WSU (16-13, 6-10) rallied from an 18-point halftime deficit. Nikola Koprikova had 12 points and Reggie Moore had 10 points on 10-of-11 free-throw shooting.
Thompson hit a floater with 59 seconds left to get the Cougars within 53-52, but Schaftenaar answered with a turnaround bank shot, and Josh Tarver and Cunningham each made two free throws to keep the game out of reach.
In the first half, Washington State was just 4 of 16 from the field and committed 15 turnovers as Oregon State led 33-15 at the break.
- How a Providence blunder let Tim Duncan get away
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case