American U advances to semis; beats Navy 62-60
WASHINGTON (AP)—Stephen Lumpkins scored a career-high 29 points and American University held on to defeat Navy 62-60 on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League tournament.
Nick Hendra added 12 points for fourth-seeded American (11-19), which will travel to top-seeded Lehigh for Sunday’s semifinal.
Lumpkins also tied a career-high with 15 rebounds for his third straight double-double, helping the Eagles improve to 9-0 in the conference’s quarterfinal round.
Chris Harris scored 20 points for fifth-seeded Navy (13-17), which ended its season with four straight losses. Jordan Sugars added 13 points for the Midshipmen, who trailed 59-51 with 1:11 left but closed it to 61-60 on Romeo Garcia’s 3-pointer with 7 seconds left.
American hit just three of its last nine free throws. But after Daniel Munoz’s free-throw miss, Garcia’s half-court runner at the buzzer fell well short.
- The Hunt: No. 58, Florida
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?