Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 87-54
MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP)—Kenneth Faried scored 24 points and grabbed 19 rebounds to lead Morehead State to an 87-54 rout over Jacksonville State on Tuesday night in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.
Faried, who had eight offensive rebounds, shot 10 of 17 from the floor for the second-seeded Eagles (22-9), who advance to the second round to face either Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech on Friday.
Steve Peterson had 14 points and six rebounds for Morehead State. DeMonte Harper had 13 points and Terrance Hill added 11.
The Eagles scored 15 straight points in the first half to claim a 19-2 lead. Ty Proffitt’s driving layup gave Morehead State a 37-9 advantage with 2:42 left before halftime.
Morehead State shot 48 percent from the floor (28-for-58) compared to the seventh-seeded Gamecocks (12-18), who shot 37 percent (19-for-51). Jacksonville State’s Stephen Hall had 20 points.
- Big second half lifts No. 2 Duke past BC 90-80
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win