Simpson scores 22 as Hampton beats Longwood 95-81
HAMPTON, Va. (AP)—Vincent Simpson scored 22 points to lead four Hampton players in double figures as the Pirates defeated Longwood 95-81 Saturday night to win their fourth straight game.
Darrion Pellum, Charles Funches and Kwame Morgan II added 16 points apiece for Hampton (12-17), which set a season-high for points scored.
The Lancers (12-19) closed within 48-42 with 17:46 left, but the Pirates pulled away with a 12-2 run.
Hampton scored 33 points off 22 Longwood turnovers. Three technicals were called in the final 1:25 and the Pirates hit 6 of 8 free throws in the final minute.
Hampton outshot the Lancers from the field, 54.9 percent (28-for-51) to 50.8 percent (30-for-59). The Pirates were 31-for-50 from the line to Longwood’s 13-for-22.
Dana Smith scored 20 points and Martiz Washington added 14 points and 10 boards for the Lancers, who had a 35-31 rebounding edge over Hampton.
- Being ‘an absolute jerk’ cost Kris Humphries a Kansas offer
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims