Mississippi Valley St. defeats Grambling St. 65-61
GRAMBLING, La. (AP)—Julius Cheeks scored 18 points and Shannon Behling had a double-double as Mississippi Valley State held off Grambling State 65-61 on Monday night.
Behling had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Delta Devils (9-21, 8-9 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who ended a two-game skid.
Mississippi Valley State jumped out to a 23-8 lead, but the Tigers (6-18, 4-12) closed to within 29-25 at halftime.
Grambling State tied the game for the first time at 40 with 11:06 left and the lead went back and forth.
Ariece Perkins, who led the Tigers with 21 points, missed two free throws and a layup down the stretch. Darian Donald’s two foul shots with 3 seconds left sealed the win.
The Delta Devils shot 45.5 percent (25-for-55) from the field.
Lance Fuertado finished with 19 points and Kevin Loyd dished out 12 assists for the Tigers, who have lost five straight.
- Mississippi Valley St. defeats Grambling St. 65-61
- South Carolina rolls on without leading scorer, rebounder
- Center Yankuba Sima transferring from St. John's hoops team
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- No. 2 UCLA returns to college basketball's upper echelon
- Rising Bears: Baylor unranked to No. 4 in less than month