Hot-shooting Wagner beats St. Francis 81-76
NEW YORK (AP)—Josh Thompson scored a career-high 23 points and Wagner defeated St. Francis (Pa.) 81-76 on Saturday night.
The freshman had 19 points in the first half as the Seahawks (5-26, 3-15 Northeast Conference) led 53-34 at halftime.
Wagner shot 63 percent before halftime (17 of 27), including going 8 of 10 from 3-point range, to set a season high for first-half points.
Wagner opened the second half on an 11-6 run to lead 64-40 on Tyler Murray’s two free throws with 14:43 left. The 24-point lead was the largest margin for the Seahawks this season. The previous high was 13 against Jackson State on Dec. 22 and Fairleigh Dickinson on Feb. 11.
Wagner also had season highs in assists (20), free throws made (23) and 3-point field goal percentage (62.5).
Chris Martin added 21 points for Wagner.
Devin Sweetney paced the Red Flash (11-18, 9-9) with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
- Xavier overreacts by punishing student section for role in brawl
- Gonzaga throttles Xavier to send Mark Few to his first Final Four
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself