Sam Houston State defeats Texas-Arlington 94-69
HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP)—Gilberto Clavell finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds and Sam Houston State defeated Texas-Arlington 94-69 Saturday night to clinch the Southland Conference regular season title.
Corey Allmond also scored 21 points, Preston Brown added 15 and Ashton Mitchell 11 for the Bearkats (21-6, 13-1), who took control early then coasted to their 13th win in the last 14 games.
Marquez Haynes, LaMarcus Reed and Brandon Long each scored 14 points to lead the Mavericks (16-11, 8-6), who lost for just the second time in 10 games.
Sam Houston State hit 10 3-pointers and converted 13 Arlington turnovers into 29 points in building a 51-28 halftime lead. The Bearkats pushed their advantage to as many as 30 in the second half and finished with 14 3s and 31 points off 16 turnovers.
- Sam Houston State defeats Texas-Arlington 94-69
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0