William & Mary defeats UNC-Wilmington 62-51
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP)—Quinn McDowell scored 23 points as William & Mary defeated North Carolina-Wilmington 62-51 on Saturday night to earn the No. 3 seed for the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament.
McDowell scored 16 points and David Schneider scored 10 of his 15 in the first half, when the Tribe (19-9, 11-6) led by as many as 15 points on the way to a 38-28 halftime lead.
William & Mary shot 53.8 percent (14-for-26) in the first half, including 8-for-12 on 3-pointers. McDowell was 4-for-5 on 3-pointers and Schneider 3-for-3 in the half.
The Seahawks got within six, 55-49, with 57 seconds left, but Schneider made 5 of 6 free throws down the stretch.
William & Mary will face Drexel or James Madison on March 6 in the tournament quarterfinals in Richmond, Va.
Johnny Wolf, with 11 points, led UNC Wilmington, which will face Towson in the tournament opener on March 5.
- William & Mary defeats UNC-Wilmington 62-51
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot