UTSA defeats Lamar 76-74 for 5th win in a row
BEAUMONT, Texas (AP)—Morris Smith IV scored 21 points and UTSA defeated Lamar 76-74 Saturday night.
The Roadrunners (18-9, 8-6 Southland) won their fifth in a row.
Omar Johnson had 17 points and eight rebounds for UTSA and Demarco Stepter added 13 points. The Roadrunners shot 60 percent from the field and led 38-27 at the break.
Justin Nabors had 25 points and eight rebounds to lead Lamar (14-16, 5-9).
The Cardinals trailed 68-58 with 3:03 to play, but scored the game’s next nine points. Though they were within a point on three different occasions, the Cardinals couldn’t draw even with UTSA. Smith and Devin Gibson each made a pair of free throws in the final 8 seconds.
Anthony Miles had 11 points before fouling out, and Reggie Mathis added 10 for Lamar.
- UTSA defeats Lamar 76-74 for 5th win in a row
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four