George Washington knocks off Charlotte 75-70
WASHINGTON (AP)—Tony Taylor scored 16 points and was perfect on three 3-pointers as George Washington pulled away during an 18-4 run that bridged halftime for a 75-70 win over Charlotte on Saturday night.
With the win, the Colonials clinched a spot in the Altantic 10 Conference tournament for the first time since the 2007 season. Taylor scored five points and Aaron Ware scored nine of his 13 points during the decisive run as George Washington (16-11, 6-8) went from up one with 2:58 left in the first half to a 47-32 lead with 16:29 remaining.
Bryan Bynes scored all of his 10 points in the second half, including a stretch of eight straight followed by a pair of Taylor free throws that gave the Colonials their largest lead at 62-44.
The 49ers (19-9, 9-5), led by Shamari Spears and Javarris Barnett with 12 points each, lost for the fourth time in five games and split the season series.
- Almost no topic was off limits at Friday's Bob Huggins roast
- Judge to review surveillance video in Appling gun case
- Arkansas using overseas trip to help mesh overhauled roster
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout