Western Kentucky beats FIU 88-61
MIAMI (AP)—Sergio Kerusch scored a career-high 32 points, and Western Kentucky defeated Florida International 88-61 on Saturday night.
Kerusch shot 13-for-17 from the field and grabbed nine rebounds for the Hilltoppers (19-12, 12-6 Sun Belt Conference), who won their sixth in a row. Kerusch’s previous career high—26 points—was scored against FIU on Feb. 21, 2009.
Western Kentucky jumped out to a 25-5 lead after a layup from Kerusch with 11:20 remaining in the first half. The Hilltoppers would lead by as many as 28 points before halftime, as a 3-pointer from Kerusch ballooned the lead to 46-18. Western Kentucky led 50-23 at halftime, and FIU never recovered.
Marlon Bright and Tremayne Russell scored 11 points each to lead FIU (7-24, 4-14), who closed its regular season with eight losses in a row.
- Western Kentucky beats FIU 88-61
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?