Longwood knocks off NC Central 83-69
FARMVILLE, Va. (AP)—Dana Smith had 25 points and 12 rebounds to lead Longwood to an 83-69 victory over North Carolina Central on Thursday night.
Smith had his 10th double-double of the season and became the second player in school history to surpass 1,500 career points (1,520) and 700 career rebounds (704). Antwan Carter added 10 points and 10 rebounds as the Lancers (12-18) won for the third time in four games.
Longwood took a 12-point lead into halftime and continued to add to it in the second half, increasing the advantage to 49-33 on Smith’s layup with 16:57 to play. Carter’s layup pushed the margin to 55-38 with 14:35 left before N.C. Central (7-22) cut the deficit to 69-61 on Vincent Davis’ 3-pointer with 5:42 to play.
Kevin Swecker’s 3 widened the margin to 72-61 with 4:25 left.
Swecker finished with 13 points.
Davis had 25 and C.J. Wilkerson added 22 points for N.C. Central.
- Amos scores 19 as Toledo beats N. Illinois 74-69
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner