High Point defeats Winthrop 71-66
HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP)—Nick Barbour scored 20 points, including going 9 of 9 from the free throw line, to help High Point defeat Winthrop 71-66 on Thursday night.
The Panthers (14-14, 9-8 Big South Conference) shot 73 percent from the foul line (27 of 37), including 14 of 18 in the second half.
The Eagles (16-12, 12-5) shot 41.4 percent from the floor (24 of 58), but connected on just 68.2 percent of their free throws (15 of 22).
High Point led 33-31 at halftime, but Robbie Dreher’s 3 put Winthrop up 34-33, 39 seconds into the second half.
The Panthers then scored nine straight and led the rest of the way. Barbour’s 3-pointer put High Point up 42-34 with 17:18 remaining.
Corey Law chipped in 14 points and 10 rebounds, and Eugene Harris had 12 points for the Panthers.
Matt Morgan scored 15 for the Eagles, who fell to third in the conference.
- High Point defeats Winthrop 71-66
- The 10 highest-paid college basketball coaches
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook