Western Carolina defeats Samford 61-44
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Brandon Giles scored 19 points and Western Carolina beat Samford 61-44 on Thursday night to snap a two-game losing streak.
The Catamounts (20-10, 10-7 Southern Conference), who reached the 20-win mark for the first time since the 1971-72 season, remain in fourth place in the conference.
Keaton Cole added 11 points and Richie Gordon had 10 for the Catamounts.
A dunk by Gordon with 11:56 to play capped a 10-0 run to give the Catamounts a 39-30 lead. Samford scored the next five points, but the Catamounts responded with an 8-1 run capped by another dunk by Gordon to put the game out of reach at 47-35 with 6:35 to play. The lead remained in double digits the rest of the way.
The Catamounts shot 48.9 percent from the field (22 of 45).
Josh Davis led the Bulldogs (11-18, 5-12) with 13 points and Trey Montgomery added 10.
- Western Carolina defeats Samford 61-44
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups