Charleston Southern beats VMI 95-85
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—Kenny Mitchell scored 21 points and Kelvin Martin had a double-double to lead Charleston Southern to a 95-85 win over Virginia Military Institute on Thursday night.
Martin finished with 19 points and 13 rebounds—five offensive—for the Buccaneers (13-15, 7-10 Big South Conference), who clinched a playoff berth in the conference tournament.
Jamarco Warren scored 17 points, Jeremy Sexton had 14 points and five assists, and Austin Johnson added 12 points for Charleston Southern. The Buccaneers outrebounded VMI 42-28, despite giving up 10 3-pointers to the Keydets (10-17, 5-12).
Charleston Southern never trailed in the second half, building a 83-66 lead — it largest of the game—with 3:43 left.
Austin Kenon led VMI with 32 points and five assists. Stan Okoye scored 26 points and grabbed six rebounds, while Keith Gabriel had 12 points and Michael Sparks added 11.
- Charleston Southern beats VMI 95-85
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four