Belmont edges Mercer 77-73
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Mick Hedgepeth scored 15 points to lead Belmont to a 77-73 victory over Mercer on Thursday night, the Bruins’ seventh win in eight games.
Jordan Campbell and Keaton Belcher scored 11 points each and Belmont (18-11, 13-6 Atlantic Sun Conference) shot 53 percent from the field (28-for-52) to sweep the season series from Mercer (14-15, 10-9).
The Bruins led throughout the final 3 minutes, but couldn’t pull away.
Belcher’s 3-pointer gave Belmont a 70-65 lead with 2 minutes to play, but Jeff Smith’s free throw cut the deficit to 71-68 with 30 seconds left.
After Drew Hanlen’s two free throws, Mercer’s Brian Mills hit a 3 to chop the lead to 73-71 with 15 seconds to remaining. The Bruins hit four free throws to seal it.
Mills scored 15, Daniel Emerson had 14 points and 12 rebounds, Smith had 12, and Brandon Moore and Mark Hall added 11 each for Mercer.
- Ranking the games in ESPN's 24-hour tip-off marathon
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims
- Marist replaces Albany on Duke's basketball schedule
- Judge drops NCAA from lawsuit filed by ex-UNC athletes