Georgia Southern defeats Samford 83-77
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Antonio Hanson finished with a career-high 27 points to lead Georgia Southern to an 83-77 defeat of Samford on Monday night.
Hanson also nailed a career-high seven 3-pointers for the Eagles (8-21, 5-11 Southern Conference). Willie Powers added a double-double for Georgia Southern with 12 points and a career-high 11 assists, while Rory Spencer recorded four blocks to claim Georgia Southern’s single-season blocks record with 61.
Samford outscored the Eagles 36-14 in the paint, but Georgia Southern shot 15-for-28 from 3-point range (52.7 percent). Hanson shot 7-for-14 from beyond the arc.
Jeffrey Merritt scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead Samford (11-17, 5-11), and Bryan Friday added 15 points.
The Eagles picked up their first road win all season, with their last road victory coming on Jan. 15, 2009.
- Missouri’s Kim English has college basketball’s best fan club
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner