Jones’ shot lifts Prairie View A&M past MVSU 69-68
ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP)—Christopher Jones’ layup with 2 seconds left pushed Prairie View A&M past Mississippi Valley State 69-68 on Monday night.
The Panthers (14-11, 9-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference) trailed 54-48 with 9 minutes left, before scoring seven straight.
Prairie View A&M used two offensive rebounds and a blocked shot during the run which lasted 2:12 to take a 55-54 lead on Brandon Webb’s tip-in.
The teams traded baskets the rest of the way, and Kevin Burwell converted a three-point play to put the Delta Devils (8-20, 7-8) ahead 68-67 with 7 seconds left, setting up Jones’ shot.
Jones finished with 11 points, and Dorian McDaniel scored 22 for Prairie View A&M.
Shannon Behling scored 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for MVSU, which snapped a two-game winning streak.
Julius Cheeks and Burwell chipped in 16 points apiece and Darion Donald added 10 for the Delta Devils.
- For Louisville’s Rick Pitino, bin Laden’s death provides closure
- Baylor under investigation for alleged Title IX violations
- Eustachy to remain with Colorado St. through 2020-21 season
- Calipari, Kentucky picked to win SEC men's title yet again
- High-profile coaches learning it takes time to win in SEC
- NC State hires ex-Kansas State coach Asbury as analyst