Jones’ shot lifts Prairie View A&M past MVSU 69-68
ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP)—Christopher Jones’ layup with 2 seconds left pushed Prairie View A&M past Mississippi Valley State 69-68 on Monday night.
The Panthers (14-11, 9-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference) trailed 54-48 with 9 minutes left, before scoring seven straight.
Prairie View A&M used two offensive rebounds and a blocked shot during the run which lasted 2:12 to take a 55-54 lead on Brandon Webb’s tip-in.
The teams traded baskets the rest of the way, and Kevin Burwell converted a three-point play to put the Delta Devils (8-20, 7-8) ahead 68-67 with 7 seconds left, setting up Jones’ shot.
Jones finished with 11 points, and Dorian McDaniel scored 22 for Prairie View A&M.
Shannon Behling scored 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for MVSU, which snapped a two-game winning streak.
Julius Cheeks and Burwell chipped in 16 points apiece and Darion Donald added 10 for the Delta Devils.
- Jones' shot lifts Prairie View A&M past MVSU 69-68
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown