Simpson propels Hampton past Florida A&M 70-61
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP)—Vincent Simpson scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half and Hampton defeated Florida A&M 70-61 on Monday night.
The Pirates (10-17, 6-8 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) held the Rattlers to 35.7 percent shooting (10 of 28) in the second half, after Florida A&M shot 53.8 percent in the first (14 of 26).
The Rattlers (7-20, 4-10) committed 13 of their 15 turnovers in the second half, while dishing out just four of their 12 assists.
Hampton pulled away with eight straight points after Cecil Bent’s jumper put Florida A&M up 48-46 with 12:53 to go.
Simpson’s three-point play capped the run, putting the Pirates up for good at 54-48 with 9:29 remaining.
Michael Freeman chipped in 12 points and 11 assists and Charles Funches added 13 points for Hampton.
Amin Stevens paced the Rattlers with 14 points and Yannick Crowder added 12.
- Simpson propels Hampton past Florida A&M 70-61
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0