Nelson’s late surge lifts Niagara to 85-79 win
MILWAUKEE (AP)—Anthony Nelson scored eight straight points in the final minutes for Niagara, helping the Purple Eagles overtake Wisconsin-Milwaukee 85-79 in a nonconference BracketBusters series game Saturday.
Niagara (16-13) trailed 72-68 with 4:30 remaining when Nelson accounted for all of the Eagles’ points during an 8-2 run that put them on top for good, 76-74, with 1:58 left. Bilal Benn followed with a 3-point play to extend the lead to 79-74.
Tyrone Lewis led Niagara with 23 points and five rebounds. He is two rebounds away from becoming the first player in Metro Atlantic Conference history with 1,500 points, 500 rebounds, 200 assists and 200 steals.
Benn added 19 points, and Nelson finished with 14 points and nine assists.
Ricky Franklin led Wisconsin-Milwaukee (16-13) with 22 points and seven assists. James Eayrs added 14 points.
- Green Bay 7-footer Alec Brown primed for a breakout season
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case